I just finished making 10 lavender sachets for a customer, and along the way I took some pictures in case I thought it would make a good tutorial. Well, since it's 11:01pm and Lily and I are still wide awake, I thought I would share. First of all I have to say my pictures were taken in the kitchen, in the evening, so the lighting is bad, and, the lavender sachets are very crudely made! I'm not really talented when it comes to sewing, that's Anne Marie. I can however sew very simple, things.
Then I figured out how long I wanted them to be, and I cut all the way up the long muslin piece, about the same legnth each time. When I was done, I was left with 10 long pieces about 10 inches long each.
Here is the muslin with the burlap square I cut and stamped earlier. The burlap squares are about 3 1/3 by 3 inches, some being a bit larger. You could always skip the burlap part and just stamp the muslin instead. I happen to like the mix of the two fabrics.
I back stiched the corners to reinforce the burlap, because it frays easily.
After attaching the burlap, I ironed them all again. Then I attached the other muslin to its mate. Sewing along three sides with a straight stitch, then filling with lavender. I put approximately 4 tablespoons in each. Then straight stitch the last side and cut along the whole edge with pinking shears.
They turned out really cute. I wanted them to look very homemade, to cover myself. That's part of the reason I choose 2 different stiches, and pinked the edge. If this was Home Ec class, I would not of received high marks on quality of work!